11.27.2008

Thankfulness

I feel obligated to write a long, impressive post this morning highlighting every little thing I am thankful for. But as I sit here, I am keenly aware of the fact that today really should be no different than any other day. Why, today, do I wake up and immediately start making my list of things I am thankful for? Often the things included there are the very things I tend to complain to God about on an almost daily basis.

How will I do this? Will You provide that? I can't get all this done. When will I find the time?

We are told to give thanks in all things. At all times. And yet I find myself doing it once a year, and then spending the rest of the year asking God for things. When He has already given me so much.

When I was little, I remember getting carried away one year at Easter. My sisters and I made a list to leave the Easter Bunny that rivaled any letter ever written to Santa. We asked for toys and chocolate and coloring books and everything we could possibly think of. My mom saw our lists, and sat us down, explaining to us what Easter (or Resurrection Sunday) was really about. I am reminded of that today... as I continually bring my petitions and lists of wants to God day in and day out, most of the time I don't stop to thank Him for everything He has already given. I take salvation for granted. I take my unlimited access to His presence for granted. And I am selfish.

So today I won't post my list for all to see. It really goes unsaid. But I will leave this quote I read in my quiet study this morning, written in a hymn in 1926 by B. B. McKinney:
I am satisfied with Jesus
But the question comes to me,
As I think of Calvary,
Is my Master satisfied with me?
God thank You for Your salvation. Thank You for Your unending patience with me, and everlasting mercy. Forgive me for lacking thankfulness in my daily life. Help me to make it a habit to be thankful in all things. At all times. Because You have given so much.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: