11.07.2008

Awards and Flying South for the Winter

Some of you may know that one of the many hats I wear includes a part time job doing advertising design at The Bulletin, Bend's local newspaper.

I'm proud to announce that I recently received an award from the Oregon Newspaper Publisher's Association for their 2008 Best Ad Ideas contest.

For the Best Ad Ideas Contest, entries in 16 categories were judged by members of the Colorado Press Association in four circulation divisions. The ad I designed for the East Cascades Women's Group (above, which featured an Ethni photograph) took second place in the Best Institutional / Image Ad category for our circulation division.

I think I was in the third grade when I won my last award. The local fire department thought I drew the best picture illustrating why you shouldn't play with matches. Funny that I ended up marrying a man who bought me a creme brulee torch for Christmas a few years ago, and then played with it so much that it was out of butane by the time I actually went to use it for its originally intended purpose.

By the way, did you know that salt does not melt, clump, crush, or take on any other form when exposed to a constant heat source? I guess there's a reason we're called the salt of the earth in Matthew 5:13!

And speaking of heat source... I'm flying south for the winter. Or at least for the weekend.


Thanks to the wonder that is Allegiant Air, I can fly nonstop to Phoenix for dirt cheap, so I booked a last-minute trip to go there a week ago. Conveniently, my twin sister awaits me, the pool in her backyard readied, and margarita mix already chilling in the refrigerator. What was to be three days of doing nothing but those few things has quickly morphed into doing that, PLUS shooting portrait sessions all weekend. What more could I ask? Enjoying 80 degrees and sunshine, surrounded by family I never get to see, and doing my favorite thing in the world. with a whole new backdrop! Ok it's only less-than perfect because Josh can't come with me. But I will try my best to enjoy it without him.

Enjoy your weekend! I'll wave at you from the pool. Or maybe that will be me flagging down another margarita...

2 comments:

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Way to go Jane! That's great!!

Anonymous said...

Um... how do i turn the stove on?