11.22.2008

A Family Session With Family

While I was in Phoenix a couple weeks ago, I was able to do a session with some family. My cousin was in town from Tennessee the same weekend, with her husband, for her 10 year high school reunion. So we took advantage of it, and got her family all together for a session.

The hard part about growing up is the separation that often comes in physical miles. My cousin, Rebecca, was born just three weeks before Robyn and I were. My family lived in Phoenix until I was 12, and for those 12 years, every holiday was packed with lots and lots of family. There's something about going back there (especially around the holidays) that causes me to revert to childhood. And as we sat around at brunch and talked about our careers, and marriage, and when we were going to have children, I couldn't help but remember the time Michael was raking leaves in the front yard of my grandparent's house. Robyn, Rebecca and I hid on the side of the house until the pile was nice and big, and he was very nearly finished. At the right moment, when his back was turned, we made a line drive straight for the middle of it. After two or three times of this, Michael threw his rake down, and stormed inside. And we immediately ran to the backyard and hid behind the shed from the expected wrath of our parents.

Today, both grandparents are gone, and that house is now home to another family. But the memories will always be there.

That's what I love about family.

This first series was actually at the very end of the session, and it is very much my aunt and uncle. I told them to stand over there and give a little smooch, and the laughter started because my uncle had apparently just eaten a very strong onion burger before the session. And the remnants were still very strong on his breath. It's my favorite series from the whole day.



No comments: